The problem of pimples normally starts in teenagers but in some cases it is also found in adults. Various types of pimples are found on the skin of teenagers. Most of the time pimples appear like painful bumps and sometimes as spots on the skin. Mostly they appear on facial skin but they are also found on shoulders, buttocks and back in some cases.
There are many myths about the appearance of pimples during teen age, but what’s the go?
Causes of pimples
Pimples are mainly caused by the reaction of the skin to the changes in body hormones. Your skin naturally releases sebum, an oily substance that protects your skin, through its sebaceous glands. Due to the increased level of testosterone hormone during puberty, in boys as well as girls, the production of sebum also increases. This over production of sebum severally blocks the hair follicles. This lockage leads to the formation of spots if it happens with dead skin cells.
You experience pain and swelling beneath the blockage spots due to the multiplication of bacteria there. These spots appear as pimples when the skin gets swollen and red in color. But it’s at this time to be careful to prevent scaring on the skin by treating the pimples carefully.
How to deal with pimples carefully
- You should avoid squeezing or picking the spots as it can lead to scarring and inflammation on the skin. Usually, these spots go away naturally after some time but sometimes they leave redness on the skin for some time.
- At the time of stress, especially in women, pimples usually get worse due to the effect of menstrual cycle and pregnancy. So while dealing with pimples at his time you should take special care of them to save your skin from deteriorating.
- You should gently use a mild cleanser and oil-free moisturizer while washing your skin with pimples. In this condition exfoliating or scrubbing the skin can cause irritation and give a feel of soreness.
Treatments for pimples
Usually, pimples go away by themselves after some time but in certain cases they may take several years to get cured. Some treatments discussed here under can help in dealing with pimples quickly and easily.
- Most of the people use over-the-counter medications even without consulting their medical service providers to treat their pimples of the mild nature. But if desired results are not seen then you should see a skin care expert to treat them effectively as many prescription treatments are also available in the market for this purpose.
- Non-inflammatory pimples of the mild nature usually contain blackheads and whiteheads also. In such cases, you can use lotions or gels containing topical antibiotics like azelaic acid or benzoyl peroxide and retinoids like vitamin A to treat them quickly.
- These medications, individually or in combination, can also help in treating pimples of mild to moderate nature having nodules and pustules.
- You can also consult a dermatologist to treat your pimples depending upon their severity.
- Contraceptive pills containing estrogen can also help in dealing with pimples in women effectively